BBC News - Home

08 July 2017

Twenty-Seven

First, we note that in 1995 the Dead arrived at their final destination: Soldier Field, Chicago, Illinois.
I'll have more to say about that weekend tomorrow. I need some time to choose the words more carefully. But this isn't a terrible show, as it turns out. Some very nice moments.
Yet the show of the day has to be 1978, without question.
Red Rocks is a powerful place, I don't think there's any other way to put it.

Plenty of folks have theories on why certain places just...feel...different. I don't know much about the why, but I am definitely not arguing with the what. I've been places that feel powerful, and other places that feel empty. There are times it seems to correlate to feelings I have inside, and there are other times it does not. It just...is.

This show resonates with me every time, yet often in different ways I have not felt before. A cool note here, a drum fill there, Jerry "shooshing" the crowd during "Wharf Rat"...it's one of the best. Might be my strongest recommendation of the summer.

There are plenty of things in this world (and beyond) that we haven't found any way to explain yet. Some things, I hope, will remain a mystery.


Sometimes it's enough to enjoy, to appreciate, to live...

...no need to know why...

Set lists after the break...




Chicago
Jack Straw
Sugaree
Wang Dang Doodle
Althea
Queen Jane Approximately
Tennessee Jed 
Eternity*
Don't Ease Me In

China Cat Sunflower ->
I Know You Rider
It's All Too Much
Saint Of Circumstance ->
Terrapin ->
Drums ->
Space ->
The Other One ->
Visions of Johanna
One More Saturday Night

E: US Blues

Red Rocks
Bertha
Good Lovin'
Dire Wolf
El Paso
It Must Have Been the Roses
New Minglewood Blues
Ramble on Rose
Promised Land
Deal

Samson and Delilah
Ship of Fools
Estimated Prophet
The Other One
Eyes of the World
drums
Wharf Rat
Franklin's Tower
Sugar Magnolia

Terrapin Station
One More Saturday Night
Werewolves of London

No comments:

Post a Comment